Monday, February 25, 2008

Monday Book Blogging

Here we go again! Late with my homework! What kind of example am I setting for my children??

Well, I have a good excuse: I've been practicin' for life as a solo performer (I've got a month until Eschacon08). My kids may not see a very punctual or organized mom, but they do see a musician. And they have already started writing their own songs. It has been my experience all these years working with young children that they all love music (and visual art--but we'll save that for another Monday). All the kids I've known will at least wiggle to whatever music you offer them. Some will also dance, sing, and play whatever they can make into an instrument. Somewhere along the line, we give children the message that if they aren't experts, they shouldn't try. Many kids reach the tween years unwillingly to risk possible embarrassment, unwillingly to express themselves in music. And so most people enter adulthood unable to play music with their friends and family. Without getting too far from a family blog, let me say that I think that singing and playing music alone & with others is one of the top five physical pleasures in life.


This week's book, Music Over Manhattan, written by Mark Karlins, illustrated by Jack E. Davis, celebrates the thrill of music.



And as a starting point for creating a solo performance, I videoed the songs for my Eschacon08 set so my guitar teacher can work with me. This is my rock-n-roll hit, Lay Down.

2 comments:

steve simels said...

Cool song, kiddo.

I'm looking forward to your Eschacon set...seriously.

Anonymous said...

thanks ina
great performance, you have stage
presence. i always appreciate our
artists works.

pghpa