Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Confessions: The Worst Parent in the World!


Somewhere in the process of raising cadres for the revolution, one realizes that they have done something so heinous, so egregious, that they deserve to have all their parenting cred withdrawn for the duration.

I had that day yesterday.

Colleges, as you may be aware, keep peculiar schedules, unlike any other business. We organize our vacations around convenient breaks in the schedule, not around national holidays. When I was a student, my heavily Jewish college had classes on Labor Day, but not Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur. In my current job, we have a break coming up (starting tomorrow), but we had classes yesterday and today.

Since I've been in this business a good 15 years, you'd think I'd take such things into account, but no. There we were yesterday morning, sitting in the driveway with the car running, babies strapped in, Thers drumming the steering wheel impatiently, fearing he'd be late for class. The boy, bundled up and backpacked, stood forlornly by the road waiting for the schoolbus while I frantically called the transportation office demanding to know where his bus had gotten off to.

And then I remembered. President's Day. Not just President's Day, but an entire week off school.

Oh.

Maybe it will be funny someday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it wasn't just you, considering your *husband* didn't know, either.

Anonymous said...

Six (or maybe seven years ago-I've been trying to block out the memory)I sent my daughter careening out the door and down the street to her elementary school, as per usual, while I threw the preschooler into the backseat and roared off in the opposite direction.

Three hours later, I get a call from our local police, who came upon my daughter standing outside of her empty school, afraid to move because wandering around outside of school was SKIPPING, and this was simply NOT DONE. Apparently, it was the first day of Christmas break.

It's only now starting to be amusing. And she will never forget it. Every once in while, she throws it out there in a fit of passive aggressive manipulation: "Hey Mom...remember when you sent me to school on a holiday and I got arrested and the police had to call you at work?"