Monday, February 18, 2008

Monday Book Blogging

Food. Glorious food?

Yes, we love food in our house. I'm happy that my children prefer bacon & onion pizza to the universal kid pizza: plain cheese. They love basil-rubbed pork ribs. Rosemary potatoes. Gorgonzola cheese & balsamic vinegar on their salad. They like salad! Most of the time.

Most of the time, the junkiest junk food in the house is homemade chocolate chip scones [full disclosure: they get granola bars in their school lunch bag for snack time]. Most of the time.

Then, there are holidays. Their loving Grampa sends them See's Candy boxes for holidays, as he did this week for Valentine's Day.

And then, the beast is born.

In our house lives the candy fiend.


And though she is only 5 years old, and 40-ish pounds, she terrorizes me. It starts out innocently enough. "Mom, I'm hungry," she coos from the playroom. "What would you like to eat?" I inquire, the hostess, waitress, chef and busboy, all in one. "Give me some suggestions," she demands. And I rattle off my list of all the things she loves most of the time. But none strike her fancy. She knows there is candy in da house. And there will be no peace until it is eaten. So I let her devour it. The good news is: it's finally gone today. The bad news is: Easter is early this year! Will my concerns be undermined if the world knows I love candy, too? Oh, and ice cream...

I love Rosemary Wells's books. Her illustrations can help me recover my equilibrium. One book that I have read a lot and was even requested as a daycare naptime book for awhile is Max Drives Away.
So here is a quick minute of a book to remind me that, while eggs or cereal are good most of the time, sometimes we have to have ice cream for breakfast.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that book. Subversive!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to let my daughter have a banana split. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but when I do opt for dessert I order the most disgusting thing I can find.

Anonymous said...

Ina, I just love your voice. It's marvelous, the way it draws the listener in. :)

Max and Ruby are a big hit at our house.

If you're not familiar with Robert Munsch, I highly recommend him for general hilarity and subversiveness.