Monday, December 24, 2007

On Gifts


Christmas is often one of the flashpoints of liberal parenting. We don't want our kids to think in mercenary terms about gifts and family, but we want them to be properly impressed and distracted so we can sneak upstairs and have "quality time." It's a tough balance to strike.

I don't generally set dollar amounts, but I do try to get each kid one main present and whatever accoutrement it needs to be entertaining, at least for a while. So the boy has a Nintendo DS, which came from eBay with a game and two movies, and we purchased the one other game we knew he really, really wanted. Some family board games and DVD's, and a "Family Time Capsule" I found at Sal's Boutique (but unused and still in the box) complete his gift. Thers bought some sports stuff and art supplies as stocking stuffers, as he always does, but really, that's it.

The teen is mostly DVDs and videogames, but her big present is an incubator, a hangover from last year's unfortunate duck adventure. She wants ducks, and I want chickens, so by next summer we should be poultry farmers.

Rosie's gift is a baby doll with clothes, a bed, bottles, and a tea set (unrelated). She talks about baby dolls nonstop, so we know this will be a winner. SP, who's really too young to be acquisitive, is getting some balls and Fisher Price people and little cars. But I feel guilty, a bit, because these are all small things. It's like I'm punishing him for being good-tempered and sweet.

Thers conveniently told me exactly what he wants: mostly DVDs, so it's easy, and they're really family presents. But I know I bum him out, because he often has no idea what to get me. (See Judd Apatow and Leslie Mann have the same fight here.)

Amd I so hard to buy for? I dunno. I don't think I can be, really, because he usually ends up with something spectacular at the last moment: an ipod one year, a really beautiful desk organizer another, a coffee table I was coveting another still. So he does know me, but he never really gets around to shopping until, well, today, and that bothers me. My guess is that he will leave me at my family Christmas and wander out to find something wonderful, but I'll be cranky because he left me with my crazy family.

My brothers and I had a family meeting yesterday at which we agreed that this was going to be the last present-exchanging Christmas. I was suprised at how sad it left me, not because I want the stuff, but because the gift exchange is the one time of year when we look at each other, talk to our sibling's spouses, and say "who ARE you?" which, after all, is what the whole "what do you want for Christmas?" question is really about. Now, with my family party transitioning to a purely social event, we won't ever ask that question. And that bums me out.

So this is a dilemma, no? At what level is the whole secular Christmas gift thing symbolic of something else? But if I see the exchange as one of the last links holding my family together, how am I supposed to communicate to my kids that the "stuff" doesn't matter?

4 comments:

Hecate said...

Instead of what do you want, could each person answer the question: what charity do you care about? Then, others could make small donations to that charity?? Still provides a chance to consider: who are you, but w/o all the stuff. Course, kids still get stuff, but maybe they start to pick a charity, too, when they get a bit older?

VforVirginia said...

My mother's family was large and unweildy, and they did the drawing names thing.

They did this at Thanksgiving; they were supposed to spend precisely a set amount (this was quite a while ago, so it might have been $10); with the remainder unspent on the main gift you made something silly or jokey. My brother received a belly-button warmer one year, made of a compact cosmetics puff on a strip of elastic with a Christmas sticker. A cousin once got an envelope marked "rattlesnake eggs" -- when she opened it a paper clip wound tightly on a rubber band spun in the envelope an scared the crap out of her.

This gave people a chance to buy something thoughtful for one person, and also to express their personalities and creativity. It was a lot of fun, and the interactions it generated were priceless.

trifecta said...

Keeping up with the Jones' is a pretty crappy reason to spend money at Christmas.

We calmed down after we moved a few times and realized there were alot of foot massagers etc sitting in our garage that we were given as Christmas presents and realizing how silly it was to go crazy on junk.

I wish somebody would declare cease fire on this. But I am sure there are many Jewish parents in New York who feel the same way about Bar Mitzvah parties.

Sinfonian said...

Leslie Mann?

I'd hit it.

Enjoy Christmas with your family, as I'm doing today for Divorce Orthodox Christmas.


P.S. Stay tuned for my debut here, probably tomorrow. I have An Idea. :)