Monday, January 14, 2008

Monday Book Blogging

Okay. Here it is again, just barely still Monday. I put the girls to bed, put some laundry in the machine, and now I've got the Monday book blogging to do. This is still the germ of an idea, I suppose. So I don't actually have to use a tripod or lights yet, right?

In celebration of the Liberal Mountain teen graduating from high school, I've chosen another inspirational story about being yourself, My Head Is Full Of Colors, text by Catherine Friend, illustrations by Kiki Oberstenfeld de Suarez.


When I have taught painting and drawing classes to adults, I've struggled with how much to correct someone's work. It seems important to help them recognize that their style could help convey their ideas, while at the same time making sure they acquire the skills to make active choices.

As I watch my daughters develop, I feel a similar push and pull. I want them to have the confidence to be who they are, yet as their only parent, I'm very aware of my influence on their choices. The three of us spend a lot of time together, just us. Both girls are already great visual artists and budding musicians. Would they love those things if I didn't already? Will I be as supportive if one of them wants to start gymnastics or ballet? When I look at my girls as they grow, will I be able to see what's in their heads--who they are--or only what I want to see? Taking the ego out of parenting is hard when you have an ego as big as mine.

The mom in this book is damn supportive, but reading it tonight, she seemed a bit stiff!

1 comment:

Hecate said...

I will definitely have to get that for G/Son!